Splash Mid-South partners with University of Memphis researchers to measure the success of our programs. Our Learn to Swim program improve children's swim ability and water safety knowledge.
University of Memphis researchers Carol C. Irwin, Ph.D. and Richard L. Irwin, Ed.D., studied the Splash Mid-South Learn to Swim Program. The research was funded by the Benjamin L. Hooks Institute for Social Change at the University of Memphis.
2009 Pilot Program
- 12 swimmers/8 completing
- Swim Ability: 5 “at risk” pre — 0 “at risk” post
- Water Safety Knowledge: 9/10 questions correctly answered post
- Attitudes Concerning Swimming: 15/20 statements positively improved post
- Qualitative results overwhelmingly indicated favorable comments from participants, parents, instructors, swim meet mentors, & program developers
- More than 150 swimmers
- Swim Ability- 100% improvement
- American Red Cross Level I-II = 24%; Level I-III or more = 76%
- Qualitative results reflected pilot program responses